JOB DESCRIPTION: Applications Engineer
Applications Engineers at AOS are the first responders to our customers and support the development and introduction of new opportunities for the company including satellite telescopes, precision aspheric optical systems, reflective aspheric optical components and laser scanning mirrors. Our applications staff works in a multifunctional environment and interfaces with customers in high-tech corporations, government, and research laboratories around the world. Applications Engineers must successfully bridge the interfaces of engineering, business, manufacturing, and management disciplines.
The duties listed below are neither exhaustive, nor are they presenting in any particular order of priority.
- Field new customer inquiries by phone and through electronic communication
- Assess customer designs and project documents to determine if and how AOS can support.
- Prepare and estimate the manufacturing method and cost of custom projects starting with metrology and manufacturing strategies and then prepare technical scope & proposals for communication to our customers.
- Provide technical support to projects, which may include optical design and manufacturing analysis. Oversee progress and support manufacturing team with project requirements. Resolve unknowns and get answers to questions from both customers and staff quickly.
- Provide our customers with frequent and comprehensive support by providing project briefings, managing problem resolution, suggesting product or service improvements that will add value to our customer’s experience.
- Prepare and manage all customer communication including product and quality data
- Provide technical support to our partner companies in Asia and Europe.
- Monitor and pursue gov’t solicitations to identify new project opportunities
- Contribute to web updates and other promotional efforts
- Maintain CRM software database
- Assist in the preparation of sales projections and strategies.
- Prepare and present technical papers at trade events and technical symposiums
- Organize and manage our participation in trade show events
Requirements & Qualifications
BS/MS/PhD in Optics or Applied Physics, Extensive optics manufacturing experience will be considered as alternative to advanced degree.
- Technologically savvy, ability to learn both about our customer’s applications as well as effective manufacturing methods.
- Proficient in communication and presentation of information
- Self-motivated and dependable with a desire to master skills and career.
- Honest, Independent, Thorough, Persistent
- Ability to travel both national and internationally in support of business operations both with customers and partners worldwide
- US Citizenship or permanent residency is required.